Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day... I have a new way of looking at this holiday from a religion scholar, interfaith-family-member perspective.

Valentine's Day is like Christmas for a Jewish daughter with a Catholic parent. I love the holiday, I love the decorations, the treats, the goodies, the sentiment, but it is not my holiday. I celebrate with others - those who are participants in the religion of "couple-dom." I get cards, I talk to loved ones, but it is not my holiday.

Here's the kicker, though - I want to convert. I have been knocking on the door to the temple of couple-dom for years and no answer. It's worse than Jews making you ask three times, it's as if the clergy of couple-dom know who I am and they are ignoring my calls.

Someday, hopefully soon, I will convert to couple-dom. But for now, I must wait it out, loving a holiday from afar.

And Single's Awareness Day - that is just as foreign and silly to me as Boxing Day is to non-Brits across the pond.

No comments:

Post a Comment