Thursday, October 29, 2009

Halloween

Hello friends!

Topic for today: Halloween.

For your reading pleasure, a poem I wrote in third grade in Ms. Andruchow's class:


On Halloween, the cold crispy air comes

And wild witches go whistling through the winds.

Black cats prowl through the gates,

Children trick or treat

Not knowing what awaits.

Then all of a sudden, the children disappear,

Ghosts come out and have the fun that the children had feared.

Then the ghosts and goblins,

Witches and werewolves,

Black cats and crows,

Circle 'round and 'round,

Till the sun finally rose.


Man, I was brilliant when I was younger: alliteration, imagery...

All gone now.


I love Halloween, the pagentry of vice and mischief-ridden parades, the community of door-opened neighbors, the abundance of sweets leading to a sugar-induced coma for young and old.


I have always loved "dressing up." The concept of becoming someone or something new merely by changing your outfit is a fascinating concept. And while I wear clothing in everyday life as a way to identify and present myself to the world; the concept of acting, or existing as something else is a methodology I will have to employ if I want to become an ethnographer of religion.


But I don't know if I want to do that, or if I want to go on to get the PhD, or if I even can...


So for now, I will put aside my everyday costume of "Religion Masters student" and become Rachel from Glee for this Halloween...

No comments:

Post a Comment